What is physical abuse?
Physical abuse leaves behind bruises and broken bones, while emotional abuse kills the self esteem of the victim. Physical abuse is a situation where the husband beats the wife for little or no reason. Are you subjected to any of the below signs of physical abuse?
- Pushes, grabs or shoves you
- Slaps you
- Punches you
- Kicks you
- Chokes you
- Pinches you
- Pulls your hair
- Burns you
- Bites you
- Ties you up
- Forces you to share needles with others
- Threatens you with a knife, gun or other weapon
- Uses a knife, gun or other weapon
- Prevents you from leaving an area/physically restrains you
- Throws objects
- Destroys property or your possessions
- Drives recklessly to frighten you
- Disregards your needs when you are ill, injured or pregnant
- Abuses you while you are pregnant
- Forces you to abort or carry a pregnancy
If you are in a physically abusive relationship feelings of guilt or fear may prevent you from getting help. But it is important for you to seek help and continue to get help for yourself as long as you need it. Please call the National Abuse Hotline at 1−800−799−SAFE (7233).